Thursday, January 1, 2015

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

Happy 2015! Today we slept in because we stayed out late last night. But of course, we had to ring in the New Year, which was actually at 7:00 EST. This morning, Cali and Jordan and I got breakfast at a corner cafe, and I actually thought to take a picture of my breakfast (see below), so you will know what a traditional Irish breakfast looks like. We didn't have any plans for the day, so around noon Kristin, Sam, Luke, and I set out for the National Museum of Natural History and the National Museum of Archaeology. After lunch, Luke joined some of the others to watch the Arsenal game, and Sam, Kristin, and I went shopping. We are cooking dinner in the room tonight and just enjoying resting at the hotel. Tomorrow we will be going to Cashel and Cork.
Moving clockwise: roasted tomato with white pepper, link sausage, hash brown, black and white pudding, and bacon with a poached egg in the middle.

Now a little about the National Museums. The National Museum of Natural History was basically a zoo for taxidermic animals and fossils. It was in an old building with an entrance level room that featured animals native to Ireland (deer, moose, fish, whales) and a great hall upstairs that featured animals from around the world as well as an arrangement of skulls that showed the evolution of man's facial structure. It was fascinating. Also I got my picture made with an elephant, and that was pretty awesome. I will admit though, I've never been comfortable with taxidermic animals, so though I was fascinated, I was a little out off. I felt a little bit like the children in A Series of Unfortunate Events when they go to live with their kind uncle in The Reptile Room: interested yet concerned. If you don't have any context for what I'm talking about, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a children's book series about three orphaned siblings who are trying to run away from their evil guardian Count Olaf, so they go to live with different family members, one of which is a scientist who studies reptiles. Unlike the children in the story, I am not a fugitive orphan, but all of the stuffed animals were a little disturbing.
Sam with her new friend.
Luke wasn't happy I took this picture, but he was happy about the moose.
Me with the elephant.
After the Museum of Natural History, we went to the Archaeology Museum, which featured ancient artifacts from all over the world. My favorite part, however, was all of the Celtic crosses they featured through the ages. I think I took pictures of at least 20 Celtic crosses (Yes, Mom, I thought of you). When we think about the cross, we think of a plain, simple, wooden structure, and while that's definitely representative of the cross on which Christ actually hung, I like the ornate simplicity of the Celtic cross. I know that the circle in the center of the cross was used to support the weight of the cross beam, but I tend to look at the world through symbols, and to me the circle symbolizes the unity of Christianity and the wholeness that Christ gives us through his death on the cross. 
Medieval crosses.

Shopping with Kristin and Sam was also really fun. We went to a local department store called Penneys. The only way I can describe it is like a Forever 21 with TJ Maxx prices. I got way too many clothes, but I also got a duffle bag that I can use as a carry on on the plane, so I can't say it was all impractical. After going in a Dublin tourist shop to buy a few souvenirs, we headed back to the hotel to do laundry and rest up for dinner. Doing laundry in a foreign washing machine was quite memorable and funny. First, we had to pick up the laundry detergent from Dr. Elsner's room, and on the way back, Sam fell up the stairs and stubbed her toe. Then when we got back to our own room to wash the clothes, we dropped the laundry detergent on the ground and had to sweep it up into our hands and scoop it into the washing machine in handfuls. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. AND if you don't think that's complicated enough, you choose your own temperature for your clothes, but the markings are in Celsius, so we had to do Fahrenheit to Celsius conversions in our head to figure out how to wash clothes. 

Tomorrow we leave Dublin, which is bittersweet because this city has won my heart. In our textbook, Thomas Cahill quotes Horace and says, "“Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current” (“They change their sky but not their soul who cross the ocean”). A good maxim for all exiles and, in this context, a reminder of the constancy of Irish personality." I have been reminded constantly of how unique the Irish personality is. The Irish are a very community-based culture who are proud of their history and their nationality. Instead of being individualistic, they are united by a culture and a history so strong it stands the test of time. I am learning how much we miss this in American culture, and I feel like there is a lot we can learn from the Irish. Finally, I would like to leave you with some of my last impressions of Dublin.
1. There's a Guinness truck that goes around to all the bars and delivers. It's kind of like the milkman, but they are delivering beer. I guess that's what makes the Guinness tastes good--it's fresh out of the brewery.
2. When it is windy, it is windy. And by windy, I mean 20 mph, take your breath away, The Wizard of Oz winds. If I start blogging about the Emerald City and a green lady who wants my shoes, you'll know why.
3. Food is perfect. Literally. America should invest in all grass-fed, free range meat and dairy because not only is it healthier, it's tastier.
4. People are so nice and friendly. You can stop people on the streets to ask them questions, and they are always happy to help and take plenty of time to help you.

One last thing before I finish tonight. Below is a picture of all of the girls before we left for the New Year's Eve party tonight. 
Right to left: Kristin, Chelsea, Kathleen, Sam, Jordan, Cali, and me

1 comment: