Thursday, January 8, 2015

On the Beach

Today we went to the Aran Islands. The morning started off with a one hour bus ride to the ferry that then transported us to the island. When we arrived, it was lunch time so we checked into our B&B only to find out that only a bar and a corner grocery store were open while we were on the island. We went to the bar for lunch and had toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, which were warm after a cold ferry ride. Afterwards, most of the group decided to hike up to the top of the island to see a fort, but Kristin and I decided to explore along the coast instead. A few hours later, Jordan and Kathleen joined us at a local coffee shop for some warm drinks. We got snacks at the corner store and headed back to the B&B for some much needed relaxation.

View from the ferry.

The Aran Islands is everything I pictured the coast of Ireland to be and even more. Extremely rocky with gale force winds, at times you feel as if you could lose your way and walk right on to the ocean. The streets are half pavement, half cobblestone and perpetually wet. If you get close enough to the ocean and away from the ferry dock, you can smell the salty air which turns your boots white if you walk too far. On the ocean road that Kristin and I took, we saw plenty of dilapidated farm houses--one of which reminded me of Wuthering Heights. There was even a white horse in front of the house.

Wuthering Heights

I've been hoping all trip for a quiet country ramble, and I finally got one along the coast today. The beauty of the waves as they crashed against the rocks, contrasted with the quiet serenity of the countryside, gave a paradoxical beauty to the scene that unfolded before me. On the way to the islands, we saw a rainbow, which is a reminder of God's constancy and power. I think the rainbow set the mood for the trip. Today was a day of peace, which, in an otherwise hectic trip, has been a blessing. A peaceful island home, a peaceful country walk, a peaceful rest in a nice armchair all contribute to an otherwise wonderful day.

The rainbow

  Don't get me wrong. I am vey thankful for the days of fast-paced travel where we can pack in beautiful sights and wonders of the world. But we have seven days left in our trip, and I'm getting rather weary. I may be on an adventure, but I'll always take an armchair and a cup of tea when I can get it.  Besides, the slow pace of the day seems to match the slow pace of the island, where stores close so shop owners can go home for lunch, where the town sleepily moves to the rhythm of the sea. I have loved all of the tourist attractions we have been enjoying, but today, especially, I feel like I am getting a glimpse of true Irish culture--the Ireland behind the mask. 

A puppt Kristin wanted to keep. 
  

1 comment: